Online Toy and Gift Store
At Gr8 Toys we specialize in genuine DEVELOPMENTAL, EDUCATIONAL and WOODEN toys for babies and children aged between 0-12 years of age. Our focus is on supplying the general public and the education industry with quality toys that will encourage your child to PLAY, LEARN and DEVELOP, while having FUN!!
We believe that ‘play is child’s work”
(from Maria Montessori), with most of our toys offering open ended play and learning possibilities. Toys that encourage your child to use their imagination and creativity.
All our toys are selected by qualified and experienced professionals.
In order to assist in your child’s overall personal development our toys have been categorized in the following basic developmental areas by our qualified staff. These developmental areas have been further subdivided into age groups to assist in toy selection. Please note that some of the toys in these early childhood developmental areas may be found in multiple categories. It is important to be aware that development is not exclusive to one area but is usually interdependent. For example, a simple puzzle may not only encourage problem solving skills (Cognitive/Intellectual development), but may also extend finger/hand manipulation and hand-eye coordination (Physical development: fine motor skills). Please note: that each child’s development is as unique as the child and the following are suggestions only.
Above information written by R. Green (M.Ed(ECI), B.Ed, Grad Dip Chn Serv (EC),DipTP) for Gr8 Toys only - copyright protected 2006. Please do not copy this information to other sites.
- Basic Developmental Areas:
- Cognitive/Intellectual Development
- Through the opportunity to explore, experiment and experience your child will learn about himself/ herself and the world around them as well as extend and develop new concepts, learn to process information and extend attention and memory abilities. Your child will be encouraged to use their senses – the primary channels through which we encounter our environment, natural curiosity and problem solving skills to develop intellectually. Depending on your child’s stage of development these toys may include tactile play mats, soft books, cot toys such as mobiles, sensory dominoes, science kits, matching games, jigsaws and simple board games.
- Creative Development
- Through open ended play opportunities your child will be able to explore a variety of materials and tools and express themselves creatively and freely. Depending on your child’s stage of development your child will be offered craft materials, music, building blocks, etc.
Please note that many early childhood professionals believe that colour-in books are not developmentally appropriate for children under 5 years of age. This activity stifles a child’s creativity and confines them within a limited space. Large drawing pads and crayons are a preferable alternative. Encourage your child to draw freely without imposing adult expectations.
- Language Development
- Through the opportunity to play, interact, listen and share experiences your child will be offered the opportunity to extend their language skills, i.e., the ability to use a code of sounds, word structures and signals to communicate our thoughts and emotions. Depending on your child’s stage of development your child will be offered the opportunity to extend their language through the use of books, flash cards, social games, nursery rhymes, puppets, etc.
- Social /Emotional Development
- Through the opportunity to play and express themselves your child will be able to develop a sense of self, develop confidence, learn about social interactions, including conflict resolution and the building of friendships. Through play your child will be given the opportunity to learn to identify, control, process emotions and express a wide range of positive and negative feelings. Through socio-dramatic or pretend play your child will be able to take on roles and act out real life scenarios, all in preparation for the world outside.Depending on your child's stage of development these toys include: dress ups, doll houses, tea sets, dolls, simple interative games..etc.
- Physical Skills - Fine Motor
- The development of fine motor skills involves the development of the SMALL muscle groups of the HAND, e.g., palm, fingers. The development of these muscles allows for greater hand strength, dexterity, coordination of hand movement, manipulation of tools and equipment and more developed hand – eye coordination. Depending on your child’s stage of development your child will be encouraged to reach, grasp, manipulate, construct, thread, cut, button, etc. These skills will eventually assist in the formation of a mature pencil grip and ultimately lead to writing. The most appropriate toys include baby activity toys, construction sets, lacing cards, threading sets,and eventually large drawing tools ...etc.
- Physical Skills - Gross Motor
- The development of gross motor skills involves the development of the LARGE muscle groups of the BODY, e.g., arms, legs, back, abdomen and head. The development of these muscles allows for greater movement around the child’s environment in a more complex way. Depending on your child’s stage of development your child will be encouraged to practice various skills including: lifting their head, rolling over, sitting up, crawling, walking, running, jumping, climbing and pedaling.The most appropriate toys include baby activity toys and mats that encourage tummy time,bikes and trikes, toddler ride ons, balls and bats,and out door sets,...etc.
We strive to offer quality customer service and attention and are always happy to assist you in selecting an appropriate gift or locating that special toy for your child! We are available to answer any questions you may have on our products. You are welcome to contact us on our free call number 1300 Gr8 Toys or at firstname.lastname@example.org Please contact us to discuss your needs or concerns.
We, also, offer gift wrapping for a small fee and a free gift card service. Please fill in the relevant information in the appropriate area when ordering.
We deliver Australia wide and internationally! We offer a flat rate delivery service to all states within Australia of only $9.95 per order. Plus FREE TRACKING on most orders.
We also have regular delivery specials. Please book mark us and check in to take advantage of these special offers and promotions. Alternatively, register for our monthly NEWSLETTER on our HOME PAGE to be notified of specials and promotions!
For all international destinations we ask that customers contact us for a delivery quote.
In order to assist in the overall development of your child our site is filled with practical information on the developmental value of our toys. All this information is written for Gr8 Toys by qualified educational professionals. Please do not copy this information on to other sites. All our information is copyright protected. Our gr8 toys are also categorized in a variety of ways to assist in your toy selection. You may select: Categories, Brands, Developmental Areas, Themes or Characters.
We hope that you enjoy browsing our site! Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com if you require any assistance or further information!
The Gr8 Toys team